Biennale of Puppet Theatres Opens in Maribor
The programme of the ninth in succession festival will feature the best Slovenian puppet shows of the past two seasons. The organizer of the event Olga Vujović, after viewing 53 performances, chose the best 9 ones.
– Three performances of the Ljubljana Puppet Theatre: Would You Rush on This Broom? (Slovene: Bi se gnetli na tej metli?), Bear and Baby (Slovene: Medved in mali), and Karel’s Stories (Slovene: Karelčkove zgodbice).
– Three performances of the Maribor Puppet Theatre: Dreams About a Star (Slovene: Sanje o zvezdi), About a Boy and a Penguin (Slovene: O dečku in pingvinu), and What If (Slovene: Kaj pa če).
– Owl on a Stick (Slovene: Čuk na palici) by the Kult Cultural Centre.
– Beasties from Comics (Slovene: Zverinice iz stripa) by the Pripovedovalski variete.
– Over Five Mountains (Slovene: Za petimi gorami) by the House of Children’s Creativity / FU-FRU Puppet Theatre.
Jury: Morana Dolenc, Tina Grabnar and Nika Leskovšek.
Within the framework of the festival, a book by Edi Majaron “The Power of the Puppet” (Slovene: Vera v lutko) will be presented, a film about Milan Klemenčič (a creator of the puppet theatre in Slovenia) will be shown for the first time, and two exhibitions will be opened.
Representatives of foreign puppet festivals and theatres are invited to the festival. According to the Head of the Maribor Puppet Theatre (LGM) Katarina Klančnik Kocutar, in such a way they want to help the Slovenian puppetry to reach the international level.
At the closing ceremony of the Biennale, the organizers will award the winner of the Milan Klemenčič Prize. This year, a puppet artist, director, teacher and essayist Edi Majaron will receive the award.