Cabbage and Potato Hotpot (Smukávc)
- about 1 kg cabbage leaves
- about 0.5 kg potatoes
- 1–2 teaspoons flour
- 1–2 tablespoons sunflower oil (but not olive or pumpkin oil)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 pinch marjoram
- Wash cabbage leaves, remove the central vein and cut into strips (1–2 cm wide and 2–3 cm long). Put into a deep saucepan and cook for about 20 minutes. Then drain the water.
- Peel potatoes and cut into cubes.
- Add potatoes and unboiled water into a deep saucepan with cabbage leaves and cook until cabbage and potatoes soften. Pour water into another container and set aside.
- Mash potatoes with cabbage, add the remaining water and cook until boiling.
- To obtain a thick mass, add some flour mixed with sunflower oil to the mixture.
- Add grated garlic, marjoram, salt, milk and the rest of cabbage brine to get a strong, steady taste.
Serve warm. The dish can be served with a mint or nut roll (zeljševka) or any delicious bread (onion bread, garlic bread).