Cuisine of Slovenia’s Regions: Chicken Quarter in Pineapple Chili Sauce
Cooking time – 90 minutes.
Ingredients (for 6 portions)
- 6 chicken quarters with skin and bones,
- freshly ground black pepper,
- vegetable oil,
- 400–500 g chopped pineapple in own juice,
- 1 medium red pepper,
- 1 lime or lemon,
- 2 cloves of garlic,
- 1 medium ginger root,
- 2 tsp food starch,
- 2 tsp ketchup,
- a bit of sage.
- Season the chicken quarters with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Fry them in a deep pan in vegetable oil on both sides. Put the fried quarters on a baking sheet, pour them a little with the fat, in which they were fried. Put the baking sheet in the oven preheated to 200 ºС. Bake for about 45 minutes (depending on the size of the quarters).
- Pour pineapple juice into a skillet. Finely chop the lime (lemon) and pineapple slices. Put pineapple, lime (lemon), finely chopped cloves of garlic, sage, peeled and chopped ginger and chopped chili in the skillet. Add ketchup and food starch, mix all, gradually bring to a boil while stirring. When heated, the sauce will begin to thicken. If necessary, it can be diluted with a small amount of water to a consistency of syrup. Salt to taste.
- Remove the baking sheet with chicken quarters from the oven, pour the sauce (each quarter separately) and place the baking sheet in the oven for another 5–10 minutes.
- Serve with boiled rice immediately when ready.