Maribor Is Awarded the European City of Sport 2018
In his official letter to the Mayor Andrej Fištravec, the Secretary General and the ACES Europe Commission representative Hugo Alonso writes that the city is an excellent example of sport development for everyone. He also adds that Maribor pursues an exemplary sport policy.
In 2018, a number of sports events will take place in the city. Besides, holding of such international events as the European Basketball Championships Among Veterans, the European Kickboxing Championships,
qualifying competitions for the European Mountain Bike Cup, and others has been already confirmed.
For 2018, the municipality of Maribor has set the following goals:
- to improve the promotion of the city as an object of sports tourism,
- to increase the number of foreign guests in sports events,
- to increase the attendance of sports events in the city,
- to increase the number of active (in terms of sports) residents of the city,
- to increase the demand for sports infrastructure,
- to increase the number of meetings of local and foreign clubs, national, European and world competitions, matches and championships.
The municipality of Maribor nominated itself for the title of the European City of Sport in cooperation with the City Sports Administration, Institute for Sports Facilities Maribor (Slovene: Športni objekti Maribor), Maribor – Pohorje Tourist Board, Public Institution (Slovene: Zavod za turizem Maribor – Pohorje, javni zavod), and the Marprom state enterprise. In August, the Commission of the Association of European Capitals and Cities of Sport (ACES Europe) inspected the sports infrastructure and got acquainted with the events that the city holds in the field of sports. Official presentation of awards and titles will be held in the European Parliament on 6 December.