Main Objectives of Professional Activity
Cooking of a wide range of simple and basic dishes and basic bakery and confectionery products, taking into account the needs of different categories of consumers.Cook's professional activity is carried out in food outlets and includes the following activities:
- Cooking dishes, beverages and culinary specialties, and other products of various assortments.
- Evaluating the availability of stocks of raw and semi-finished food products required to cook dishes, beverages and culinary specialties.
- Assessing the availability of personnel and material resources required to cook dishes, beverages and culinary specialties.
- Making orders of raw and semi-finished food products used to cook dishes, beverages and culinary specialties.
- Preparing food product reports on the production of dishes, beverages and culinary specialties.
- Monitoring the storage and consumption of food products used in the production of dishes, beverages and culinary specialties.
Scope of Application
Cook's professional activity is carried out at public catering enterprises of various types and forms of ownership.Cooks can work in a prestigious hotel with a large number of daily menus and a la carte restaurants, in a ship restaurant or in a specialized restaurant (e.g. a seafood restaurant), in a local cafe with national cuisine or in a snack bar.Besides, cooks can work in a hospital, in a kindergarten, in a nursing home, in a student dining room or in a canteen at a military unit, or in a kitchen in a private company. Recently, cooking and express delivery of food called catering have grown into fashion. In this case, food is cooked in the central building, and then dishes are delivered to the customer's address. This may be a birthday party held in an apartment or a company welcoming guests in its office. Catering also includes delivery of food by airplane or other means of transport, arrangement of banquets, cocktails, and weddings, or cooking at the customer's premises. Cook can find work and as an expert in producing frozen foods.
Work Tools and Devices
Cooks use the following devices:
- kitchen, serving and transportation utensils and food containers, cutlery and kitchen tools;
- devices for machining, universal food processors, vegetable grinders, vegetable washing machines, meat grinders, devices for meat grinding, cutting and making up, devices for whipping and spinning, apparatus for dough processing and forming;
- heating units, cookers, cooking tops, pans and baking trays, meat and baking ovens, deep fryers, barbecues and grills, steam convection ovens and universal food preparation machines, microwave ovens;
- dish washing machines;
- cooling devices and ice cream makers;
- containers for recycling household waste, thermoses and reservoirs;
- kitchen equipment for cooking under high pressure, various tools and small inventory;
- transport trolleys, conveyors and elevators for carrying and transporting food products and dishes.
When working, cooks need kitchen towels, cleaning and slicing devices, napkins, sponges, brushes, brooms and mops. For cooking, they use food of animal and vegetable origin, spices and condiments, as well as water. To maintain cleanliness, cooks use mechanical and chemical cleaners, disinfection and disinfestation agents.Numerous working documentation is of great importance as well: specifications, applications, recipes, invoices, menus, price lists, calculations, accounting records for semi-finished products and daily consumption of food, customer feedback books, and records of possible harm. When working, cooks wear a uniform, a hat, and comfortable shoes and take into account the requirements of occupational safety.
Cook's task is to cook a la carte or specially ordered dishes. He should cook dishes according to the principles of preserving their nutritional value, while taking into account their taste, nourishment and pleasant appearance.