Turizem Ljubljana Receives the WTM Responsible Tourism Award
The organization received an award in London in the category “Best Communication in Socially Responsible Tourism.” This important for the country event testifies to the correct choice of the sustainable tourism development course. Now Ljubljana is one of the world’s leading tourist sites.
WTM awards for the achievements in socially responsible tourism have been presented since 2004. They ensure a tourism sector contribution to the implementation of UN tasks aimed at improving the quality of life throughout the world. The jury paid special attention to the contribution to development of sustainable tourism and efforts aimed at reducing the negative and increasing the positive effects.
Twelve finalists were selected among 500 applications. Only three of them represented Europe, including Ljubljana.
What peculiarities of Ljubljana attracted the expert jury most of all? The jury singled out several points:
- active participation in the promotion of sustainable mobility,
- organized supply and distribution of food products through the Green Chain of Procurements,
- adherence to the principles of the national “Green Policy” (the first gold certificate in the Green Scheme of Slovenian Tourism),
- use of qualitative indicators recommended by the OECD (Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development) to ensure sustainable development,
- a desire to manage tourist flows in order to provide a more comfortable life for the residents of the city and the corresponding creation of an offer outside the city centre and in the Central Slovenia region.
At the awarding ceremony, the Chairman of the Jury, international expert Harold Goodwin, stressed that members of the jury were impressed by the results, which Ljubljana had managed to reach in such a short period of time.
On behalf of the capital, the Head of Turizem Ljubljana, Master Peter Stušek, received the award.