Vipava Valley Strudel (Vipavski štruklji)
- 1/2 kg white flour
- 2 dkg yeast
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 5 dkg sugar
- 5 dkg butter
- lemon peel
- a pinch of salt
- about 2.5 dL milk
- 30 dkg ground walnut
- 10 dkg butter
- 5 heaping tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 10 dkg sugar
- 2 dL milk
- 2 egg whites
- 15 dkg raisins soaked in rum
- Prepare the sourdough using several tablespoons of milk, a teaspoon of sugar, a teaspoon of flour and yeast.
- Put flour into a deep bowl. Make a hole in the middle of the heap. Add salt, sugar, butter cut into small pieces, rum and lemon peel around the heap edge. Add sourdough into the hole and wait for a while until it rises a little. Then gradually pour in the cold milk and knead the dough.
- Place the dough on a floured board and knead until it stops sticking to your hands. Divide the dough into two loaves and put in a warm place to rise a little.
Boil the milk and pour it into a bowl with walnuts, fry the breadcrumbs in butter and add them to the nut mass. When the mass is fully cooled, add egg whites and sugar.
- Roll out a 0.5 cm thick dough, put a half of the stuffing on the dough and sprinkle it with a half of the raisins, and then roll it as for potica. Wrap carefully each strudel into cloth and tie tightly around its sides, so that it could not open during cooking.
- Put strudels in a warm place for 45 minutes until the dough rises, and boil water in a deep saucepan. Put the risen raw strudels (štruklji) into boiling water with the risen side down (like donuts) and cook in a closed pot for 20 minutes. Then flip them over, remove the lid and cook for another 20 minutes. After cooking, immediately remove them from heat.
Before serving, cut the strudels into 1 cm thick slices. It is also possible to sprinkle strudels with fried in butter croutons and sweeten a little.